Just when you think it’s safe to go back into the water. Gillette tagged me for a meme on Gratitude, which, being a long way from our U.S. Thanksgiving Day (late November) requires some amount of thought. But perhaps that’s a good thing; we often only appreciate certain things when the capriciousness of life flings it into our faces -just as many of us fail to appreciate our partners until mid-February.
So, let’s just take a moment and go with it, shall we? C’mon, we can all think of five simple things to be grateful for, right? Here are mine:
1) I’m grateful for Mrs. Edge, and her ability to learn to be more understanding and intimate in our relationship. When so many bloggers write little else but complaints about their marriages and relationships, I try to remember that it’s nice when she makes an effort to be on the same page – or at least the same book.
2) My relationship with the Edgelette. They say that you get two chances to re-do your relationship with your parents: when you have children, and when you have grandchildren. I’ve tried to be the parent that I wished I had, and fortunately, she seems to have to personality to appreciate that.
3) Despite the several medical issues that I had last year, I’m thankful that not only do I had pretty decent health, but that I’m able to improve upon it (although not quickly enough, dammit!). My weight has come down – not as much as I would have liked, but I’m more muscular and toned than I’ve been in years, and I’ve gone down a notch on my belts. I had to get glasses for reading, but I hardly need them outside of work. My blood pressure and cholesterol is way down, and I seem to be healthier than just about all of the friends that I have who are around my age.
4) My talents. No, that’s not ego, that’s an acknowledgment that I have certain skills and abilities: to learn things quickly, to understand how things work, to express myself well in writing. I don’t get to use these skills much in my work, and I enjoy having opportunities to practice them elsewhere.
5) You. Yes, you crazy fool, you. You’re here, taking time from your busy day to surf for hot orgasm denial porn, look for pics of Marina Sirtis, Kim Cattrall, and other attractive older women, and to amuse yourself with my little tales and observations, and – once in a while – even leave a comment of appreciation. In a medium in which most blogs fail after just a few months, you keep coming back and encouraging me to keep doing what I’ve been doing for over two years, now.
I didn’t do the traditional “Blogiversary” post a couple of weeks ago when I was on vacation, but I’ve got 2 years and 200 posts on The Edge of Vanilla, and while this does sound egotistical, the fact is that I probably would not have written so much if I didn’t get the support and appreciation from you, the gentle reader.
Gillette, thank you for giving me the opportunity to think about what I’ve got going for me right now. And with that, I’m going to tag some newcomers to the blogging community: Naughty Wife & Good Hubby, Elle, Mykey, Pure Liquid Kink, and Curious Girl (since she steals all of my memes anyway).